> In July 2010, colleagues assured those attending that if
> neighborhood residents did
> not want the sidewalk proposed for Evergreen Avenue, the project would
> be abandoned by DPW.
> As you doubtless know, since then, there has been a
> massive outpouring of opposition to the project. Consequently, may we
> who live here safely assume that the project will be dropped? If not,
> would you kindly tell us what else we must do to prevent the project
> from being imposed upon us against our will?
Mari,
ReplyDeleteOne year latter and no reply from Kinsey. What does it take to convince you Kinsey is not influenced by your letters or your rants ?
How do you know there hasn't been a more "massive" outpouring of support for the project?
ReplyDeleteCharles - we've had a reply from Kinsey - he wrote a letter to Roz and suggested she ask people to write letters in favor of the sidewalk, so he could give the DPW the go ahead.
ReplyDeleteAnon - I'm sure that there has been a "massive" outpouring of support, as instructed by a few people - I'm curious to know WHY so many people on Laverne Avenue want a sidewalk on Evergreen - if you want a sidewalk so bad, put it on your street! I was amazed to find out how many political forces are pushing their agenda and who are under the impression that a sidewalk all along Evergreenis an "improvement."
This is the main reason we all tried to NOT make this an argument about the school - because we have already LOST that battle once, and we know which side Kinsey is on. I didn't want to believe it, I heard it with my own ears - at the joint committee meeting last year.
It's difficult to fight all the political forces trying to shove this ill advised, lopsided design onto our neighborhood.
All the "rational" arguments for a concrete sidewalk with curbs and gutters in a semi-rural community that is protected by the TAM plan, are not getting through. Because it is NOT rational to impose a sidewalk on a street with a 100% safety record in the name of safety! It's not only a WASTE of taxpayer money - it's insensitive, and to do so for a school that serves only 4% of the local population is the height of arrogance. As I stated before, this will only makes things worse for MHS and for our sense of community. This process isn't working for anyone - least of all the DPW.
By the way, Charles - I appreciate you being so persistent in contacting the County. I see how Keith used your tactics to get them to change the width of the street. Maybe you are right - I should stop trying to be nice and reasonable.
Can't really walk on Laverne to get to Whole Foods, Swirl or most other Miller Avenue locales. Evergreen is a major suburban thoroughfare for this neighborhood that the people use for ingress and egress to the semi-rural areas of HV. Those people pay the same taxes as the Evergreen people and the portion that is going to be used for the sidewalk is public land and belongs to them just as much as it belongs to the Evergreen people.
ReplyDeleteI think the main reason you lost this battle, besides the overwhelming logic a sidewalk represents, is the uncivilized rantings that has emanated from your side. I really don't remember seeing any messaging that was well constructed, rational, civilized and didn't resort to bomb throwing unsupported accusations. Just think of it this way - Charles Sands is calling you out for your rants...
"Don't count your chickens before they are hatched."
ReplyDeleteI think you miss the point. A former vocal critic of the sidewalk has accepted the new plan. The county has addressed many of the concerns the neighbors have had and clearly it has satisfied some. But, in all cases such as this, they know they're never going to satisfy everyone. In their view they've done all they can tand now there's no reason not to move forward. They will, of that I'm sure.
ReplyDeleteYou got the best solution you're going to get, you delayed it for a year and made it smaller. For that you should be proud of your efforts (because you got more than you deserved) but the sidewalk is coming. I'm confident there's more support than opposition at this point.
ReplyDeletep.s. I'm not who you think I am but that really doesn't matter.
You know - in reading your reasoning for wanting this sidewalk - I get sicker to my stomach by the minute - I REFUSE to condone the behavior that perpetrated this FRAUD on the TAXPAYERS - I'm a taxpayer too - do you feel SUCH a sense of ENTITLEMENT that you would take $900,000 out of the SAFE ROUTES to SCHOOLS FUNDING budget - and OBLITERATE our street's semi rural character - just so YOU can feel more secure walking to the yogurt store? ugh. If you want a path so badly - chip in to help us build one. You live in Mill Valley, you can afford it.
ReplyDeleteMari, it seems from your above response to Anon on 11/30 at 5:55am that you agree more people support the sidewalk than are opposed to it. Are you then suggesting that the democratic concept of majority rule should be ignored in this case?
ReplyDeleteNo, I do not agree that more people support this sidewalk than oppose it. I believe that the school and the HVCA lobbied people to write letters of support for the project, which gave Mr. Kinsey the idea that he could/should advise the Marin County DPW to move forward in the process.
ReplyDeleteDidn't you lobby people to write letters? And aren't you saying very few MHS people live in HV? Seems like you reach far more HV residents than MHS could if they lobbied.
ReplyDeleteYou know, Anonymous - I am tired of dealing with people who think they know more than they know. I have no problem with people who want a more convenient walk to the yogurt store. What I DO have a problem with is people who lie and cheat to take money on false pretenses, and then have the nerve to try to marginalize and insult someone who DARES to call attention to it.
ReplyDeleteIf you want to have a real conversation about this, then come out from behind your mask and let's have a real conversation.
Actually - since when do people have to vote on safety? Isn't 100% safe enough? Safe Routes to Schools' process is a mess. Just because you can fit concrete somewhere on the side of the street doesn't mean you should! Grass stains are harder to get out of laundry than blood stains - but I'll take them any day.
ReplyDelete